Have you ever spent time in a haunted house?
Or, like me, have you lived in one?
Hairs rising on the back of your neck.
Glimpses you’d rather pretend totally did not just happen.
So, when you’re experiencing spirit activity and you’d rather not, what do you do?
LET’S TALK ABOUT…
MAGICAL FUNTIMES GUYS
First of all: before engaging in any magical work it is important to ask yourself, “Who are my spirit allies? Who will I be working with in this endeavor?”
This is a magical step we so often overlook! Effective magic requires you to petition a higher power. Period.
I don’t care if that higher power is Jesus, Kali, Saint Michael, or your Leopard Totem. It’s up to you to cultivate relationships with higher entities you feel called to or who have called you directly to themselves.
In addition to gods, goddesses, and saints, there is a group of EXTREMELY IMPORTANT higher powers you could be petitioning for help ALL OF THE TIME: your spirit guides.
Everyone has spirit guides. They have been with you since you were born. They can include your guardian angels, power animals, plant allies, and ancestors. Just because you’ve never talked to them doesn’t mean they aren’t there. So what are you waiting for?! Say hello!
After seeing a ghost at a very young age, I went through childhood absolutely petrified of the dark.
The “higher power” that I petitioned, in this case, was my Dad.
(You know kids. Parents are like demi-gods when you’re such a small one.)
Dad is smart. Dad is compassionate. Instead of telling me monsters aren’t real, instead of dismissing my fears, he got himself a bottle of End Dust, told me it was Anti-Monster Spray, and sprayed that shit all over the place.
Under the bed, under the dresser, in the closet, at the boundaries of bedroom door and closet door.
NO MONSTERS HERE.
And honestly? It made me feel better. I felt like my fears were seen, and heard, and taken seriously. The act of administering pseudo-magical remedies to my physical space was extraordinarily comforting.
SO HERE’S WHAT TO DO
- Firstly, talk to your spirit guides. Tell them how you feel. Allow them to witness your fears. Let them know that you don’t want to see the spirits of the dead. If the idea of clairvoyance as a whole freaks you out, say so! “No clairvoyance for me, thank you.” Ask them for help moving the spirit on, if you feel that’s necessary.
- Secondly, talk to the spirit of your house and the spirits of the land your property is on. Ask for their help in maintaining boundaries. Let them know your concerns, and be sure to treat them well! Don’t expect their help if you aren’t prepared to cultivate a respectful relationship with them.
Cultivating a respectful relationship with my house & land spirits includes, for me, “normal” household tasks like taking out the trash and compost, doing the dishes, sweeping, dusting, and washing the floors. It also includes magical and animistic actions like burning pleasant incense, patting the walls lovingly, verbally expressing my gratitude for certain aspects of the building (I love my old-fashioned elevator!), leaving offerings under trees in the yard, and generally taking care of the space as best I can.
- You may also speak directly to the dead spirit, if you’re comfortable with this. I have no personal experience doing this, so I cannot speak to the effectiveness of this practice. If you feel comfortable addressing the spirit directly, you can either tell them their activity is disturbing you and politely ask them to stop, or you can attempt to help them move on. Before doing so, I strongly recommend that you seek advice from a professional spiritual worker. Here is a list of Readers & Rootworkers who perform spirit work.
Talking with Spirit is always the best way.
Here are some other practical actions you can take to repel unwanted entities from your home.
- Regular cleansing & clearing. The effect of burning sage is temporary, but helpful if you’re feeling particularly yucky or had an encounter that made you feel unpleasant. It also lets your house spirits know you love them and want them to feel good and be happy, too.
- Reflect negativity out of your home. I was taught by Miss Elvyra, member of the Association of Independent Readers and Rootworkers, to protect your home from negative entities by taping small mirrors, mirror-side out, to each external wall, ceiling, and floor. Use the kind of little mirrors you’d find at a craft store. This might sound obvious, but it’s best to put up the mirrors *after* a cleansing.
- Hang Rosemary sprigs above the doors and windows. If you have a particular plant ally with protective qualities that *isn’t* Rosemary, by all means use that ally instead! I like to use sprigs of Rosemary because you can also use ‘em to flick holy water on the walls and in the corners of your home. ALL OF THE BLESSINGS!
- Burn Fiery Wall of Protection incense or garlic skins and invoke the protection of Archangel Michael or another protective entity you’re comfortable with. Burn some other, more pleasantly blessing incense immediately afterwards to set the tone for deliciousness. This practice is not specifically geared towards keeping ghosts away, but rather negative entities in general. It also helps to show spirit guides & spirits of house and land that you mean srs biznis about setting spiritual boundaries, and that you don’t expect them to do ALL of the work like a petulant child would.
Sweet chickadees, I’d like to point out that you do not need to fear the darkness.
Seeing a ghost is scary. I know. I know it is. I lived in abject terror of the darkness after seeing a ghost as a child.
It doesn’t have to be that way.
(Many ghosts are benevolent and chill and respectful roommates!)
You can embrace the darkness. The darkness can be our mother, our place of nurturance, a place of magic and wonder and possibility.
In the darkness, flame becomes dramatic and powerful and potent.
In the darkness, we connect with our ancestors – those who walked in the world without electricity.
In the darkness, we can be safe.
- How to Make Pagan Holy Water by Sarah Anne Lawless
- Who’s Who: Spirit Allies by Green Stag Spiritwork
- House Spirits by Green Stag Spiritwork
- Five Reasons You Should Work With Local Spirits by Green Stag Spiritwork
- How to Create a Genius Loci ["spirit of place"] Profile by Sarah Anne Lawless
- What Are Spirit Guides & How To Work With Them by Anna Sayce
- 20 Magical Ingredients That Live In Your Kitchen by Bri Saussy
- Association of Independent Readers & Rootworkers
Questions? Stories? Hit me with ‘em!
There are SO MANY WAYS to magically protect your space. No way is right or wrong. Dig what you dig and get DOWN with your bad self, baby kittens!
Have YOU experienced unwanted spirit activity? What did you do? How have you coped?